[Vol 1] Ore ga Moteru no wa Kaishaku Chigai: Oshi Bishoujo-tachi ni Hasamaremashita Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - Before I knew it, I was sandwiched between them
 

Monday after the break. My steps felt light as I headed to school.

“I wonder if my yuri girls are doing well today too?”

At this hour, the three girls were probably already in the classroom. I let my thoughts drift toward them.

As always, I’d enjoy watching them flirt and mess around with each other today as well.

“Which pairing will be the hottest today? Toa × Shiori? Or Shiori × Renka?”

Imagining their affectionate interactions, I forced my lips to stop curling into a grin.

And just as I passed through the school gate──

“Yo, Souma. How was your date?”

Minoru called out to me.

“Date? What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play dumb. You went out with Renka-san and the others over the weekend, right?”

“Oh, that. Yeah. It was a wonderful date!”

Grateful that he asked, I excitedly began talking.

“What was great, first of all, was that the three of them were feeding each other cake! And Shiori-san actually opened her mouth honestly for Renka-san! Then the way the two of them fed Toa-san while flirting with her was unbelievably adorable… Seriously, it was the best yuri date ever!”

“Hey, hold it. That’s not what I meant. Nobody asked about the yuri.”

Minoru frowned in annoyance.

“I’m asking about your date with them. I bet the girls were all over you, right?”

“Huh? Nothing like that happened at all though.”

What was Minoru even talking about? There was no way I’d interfere with a yuri date.

“I told you before, I just tagged along as a guy-repellent. Sure, they fed me cake, we played table tennis together, and we took purikura together. But all of that was to support their yuri. It wasn’t flirting or anything.”

“Hold up. You took purikura together? Show me!”

“Uh, yeah. Here.”

I pulled out the purikura they gave me yesterday from my wallet and showed him.

“Oi, this! This is totally flirting, isn’t it!? And they’re all clinging to you! You’re literally a guy sandwiched between yuri here!”

“Idiot. They just used me as camouflage. Those girls like each other, so even if I tried to wedge myself in, I wouldn’t be able to.”

Minoru really didn’t understand anything. I’d just explained the other day that there was no room for a guy between them.

“Yeah… You’re still creepy. You’re way too much of a yuri believer. Something’s wrong with your head.”

“It’s not like I’m fine with just any yuri. I like the relationship between those three specifically.”

As we talked, we eventually arrived in front of the classroom.

Sighing at my stubborn friend, I opened the door.

“Whoa! What is this, isn’t it amazing!? Shiorin looks super cute!”

The first thing I heard was Renka-san and Toa-san surrounding Shiori-san.

And Shiori-san, unlike usual, had her hair gathered into a rounded bun at the back of her head. A so-called odango hairstyle.

“That hair hairstyle looks really good! Shiori-chan, you feel totally different today!”

“R-Really…? I just messed with it randomly and it turned out like this…”

“No way, you totally put effort into it! But seriously, it’s super cute! The bun suits you so well!”

“S-Shut up… Don’t say it so much, idiot…”

“Ehehe~ Even embarrassed Shiori-chan is cute~”

“Hey… Toa, don’t tease me too…”

Renka-san touched Shiori-san’s bun, while Toa-san poked her cheeks. Shiori-san pretended to dislike it, but she didn’t push them away.

“Or is this, you know…?”

“Maybe… ──because of someone?”

“T-That’s not it…! It’s not like that…!”

The two leaned in with teasing grins, and for some reason Shiori-san grew even more flustered.

Watching them from the side was just too adorable.

“But seeing Shiorin makes me wanna try styling mine too~. Since we’re at it, wanna mess with everyone’s hair?”

“I’m in~! It’s hard to set it by yourself anyway!”

And just like that, they entered hair-arranging time. They began touching each other’s hair affectionately.

“Whoa! Toa-chin’s hair is so fluffy and smooth~. And it smells really nice too.”

“Eh~, Shiori-chan’s smells better than mine~. What shampoo do you use?”

“Nothing special… Just something my mom buys, called 『JUPITER』…”

“Ah! That’s a really good one! I want it too, but it’s expensive~”

Renka-san played with Toa-san’s hair, while Shiori-san adjusted Renka-san’s.

Why was it so heartwarming watching girls play with each other’s hair like that? It made them look even closer, and my yuri imagination ran wild.

As I sat at my desk watching them──

“Hey hey, what do you think, Souma-kun!”

“Eh…?”

Suddenly, Renka-san ran over.

“I tried a ponytail! What do you think of this hairstyle? Does it suit me?”

Instead of her usual straight hair, her beautiful golden hair was tied back into a ponytail. My gaze was drawn to the way it swayed.

It seemed the hair styling was finished. But why come all the way to ask me for my opinion?

And it wasn’t just Renka-san.

“Sorry for the suddenness, Souma-kun. Can I hear your thoughts on mine too~?”

Toa-san came over with cute twin braids on both sides.

Behind her was Shiori-san, still with her bun.

“I-I don’t really need an opinion…”

“Come on, Shiorin. Don’t be shy. You went through the trouble of changing your look.”

Renka-san pulled the hesitant Shiori-san in front of me.

All three of them had very cute, feminine hairstyles… but more importantly, hold on. Before giving an opinion, I wanted to ask something.

“Why are you all asking me?”

“Well, we want a guy’s opinion too! When it comes to fashion, the opposite sex’s opinion matters!”

“Let us hear your honest thoughts, Souma-kun!”

“I think… it probably doesn’t suit me…”

Expectation and anxiety mixed on their faces as they waited for my response.

Ah, I see. That’s what it was. Fashion is important for girls, so naturally they care about how guys see it too.

“It’s fine. It suits you all. I think Shiori-san’s hairstyle is cute.”

“Eh…! Really?”

“Yeah. Renka-san’s ponytail and Toa-san’s braids both look fresh and suit you too.”

I meant it honestly. I don’t understand fashion at all, but at the very least, they looked cute.

“Th-Thank you… Yay…”

“Ehehe… Yay! I’m happy~!”

The girls relaxed their cheeks with smiles after being praised.

Personally, I’d prefer they show those reactions while complimenting each other.

“Anyway, don’t worry about it. Even from a guy’s perspective, your points are high. See you then.”

I subtly signaled the end of the conversation so they’d leave me be.

Rather than interacting with Renka-san and the other two directly, watching the three of them interact suited me better. Lately I’d been dragged along on outings and hadn’t been able to just observe. For the first time in a while, I wanted to enjoy yuri from a distance.

“Thanks, Souma-kun! Oh, hey, don’t you have bed hair? Since we’re at it, we’ll fix that too! I’ll share my wax with you!”

“Eh?”

Renka-san suddenly made a strange proposal.

“Ah! I’ll help too~”

“Me too. It’s sticking out everywhere.”

For some reason, they surrounded me.

“W-Wait… If it needs fixing, I’ll do it myself──”

“It’s fine, it’s fine~ Excuse us~”

Renka-san moved behind me and began ruffling my hair.

“Uwah!?”

“Ahaha! What was that voice~? Cute.”

“Ah, sorry…”

“No need to apologize~”

Renka-san poked my cheeks with her fingers.

What was this? What even was this situation?

Why were they playing with my hair? I thought this kind of skinship was something girls did with each other. Even if it was for guy-repellent reasons, or because they felt sorry for a loner like me, or camouflage… there was no need to go this far.

“Um… why are you doing this for me? Normally, girls don’t touch a guy’s hair, right?”

Unless it was a boyfriend or someone they liked, people usually didn’t touch others’ hair.

“Ah—well, um… you know! I kind of admire hairstylists. I wanna get used to styling hair, at least.”

“Hairstylist?”

I see. If it was practice for that, it made sense. She probably wanted experience touching guys’ hair too.

“I wanted to play hairstylist too! I figured Souma-kun would go along with it!”

“I-I’m the same… same reason.”

I didn’t expect all three of them to be interested in the same profession. Maybe someday I’d get to see a yuri beauty salon run by the three of them.

“Wow~ Souma-kun, your hair is thick and nice. Bed hair must be hard to fix, right?”

“Since we’re at it, should we shape the ends a bit while we fix it? Might make you look even cooler.”

Laughing and chatting, they gently touched my hair.

It felt a little embarrassing. I’d never had a girl my age touch my hair before.

It felt like being patted on the head, making me squirm a little.

“Renka. Share some wax with me. I’ll handle this side.”

“Okay! Now we just need spray to set it…”

“Ah, I have some spray~. It’s the soft type though, is that okay?”

They kept playing with my hair for a while. Spreading wax through it, dividing the work, and shaping the strands.

The girls laughed happily over me, and being surrounded by the opposite sex like I was popular, I didn’t even know what kind of face I should make.

“What’s this? Everyone looks like they’re having fun!”

A familiar voice suddenly rang out.

Looking over, I saw Satou—the guy sandwiched between yuri—standing nearby.

“You’re all practicing styling on Naruse, right? Then do mine too. I can’t get it right myself.”

This guy… I warned him before, and he still came over without learning.

But well, they weren’t just flirting among themselves right now, so maybe it was fine. And his suggestion should be a plus for them too.

Let him become experience points for the yuri girls just like me.

…Or so I thought──

“Sorry, Satou-kun. We’re talking with Souma-kun right now.”

“Sorry〜? Our hands are kind of full.”

“Sorry, try asking someone else.”

The three girls brushed Satou off without hesitation. They didn’t even turn to look at him.

“Ah… okay… sorry…”

Their voices lacked any emotion. They didn’t even meet his eyes. Satou seemed shocked, his forced grin disappearing as he trudged back to his seat.

Huh…? Why…? Isn’t that weird?

If they wanted hairstylist practice, shouldn’t they touch all kinds of people’s hair? Why was mine okay, but Satou’s wasn’t?

Eventually, Renka-san spoke with satisfaction.

“All done! Perfect!”

With a proud expression, she held up a hand mirror to me. …I really did look like a different person.

“Mnm… Naruse-kun, you look really cool.”

“Hey hey, can we take a photo to commemorate this~?”

“Actually, can I post it on I〇sta? I think it’ll seriously get a lot of likes!”

“I’d rather you didn’t, if possible…”

The three girls excitedly took photos of me, treating me like some kind of idol.

I was being doted on to a ridiculous degree. And the stares around me hurt. The few guys in class had been glaring at me for a while now. Like they were saying, 『Why are you the only one getting attention from the beautiful girls?』

Could it be… that I alone was actually being treated specially…?

Just then, the bell rang.

The warning bell. The teacher would be here soon.

“Ah, gotta get to our seats. See you later, Souma-kun!”

Renka-san and the other two returned to their seats. It seemed I’d finally been released.

“Haa… I’m tired…”

I leaned back into my chair.

“Oi, Souma. You were already getting swarmed first thing today, huh.”

“Minoru…”

Minoru, who had been watching from the seat next to mine, spoke smugly.

“You get it now, right? How those three feel about you.”

He sounded like he’d finally proven his point.

“If they’re all over you like that, it means all three of them like you. Otherwise, they wouldn’t go as far as styling your hair.”

“D-Don’t be stupid… There’s no way those girls would like a guy.”

“You still don’t get it? This is serious. Your yuri-couple-obsessed delusions are getting bad, Souma.”

“It’s not a delusion. It’s the truth.”

Those three liked each other. That was an obvious fact.

But… if that’s the case, why did they treat only me specially?

“Everyone, quiet down please! I’ll take attendance quickly!”

While I was thinking, a female teacher with glasses entered.

Standing at the podium, our homeroom teacher began calling names. Watching her, I continued to think.

Minoru might be right—what just happened was a little strange. Girls touching a guy’s hair wasn’t common to begin with. If it was practice for becoming hairstylists, then excluding Satou didn’t make sense either. Well, maybe Satou was just unpopular with girls… but even after that, they kept doting on me excessively.

But I hadn’t done anything that would make them like me. Even during that outing the other day, I’d acted consistently to help their yuri flourish.

No, wait… could it be because I saved them from being hit on? Did that raise their affection toward me?

“No… that can’t be it.”

Love couldn’t be that simple. Just because I helped them once, there was no way I could surpass the affection they’d built with each other.

That’s right. They’re precious yuri girls. What happened earlier must have just been a whim.

I should stop worrying about it. More importantly, I should just enjoy the yuri purely.

 

 

“Alright then, we’ll move on to homeroom now〜. As announced, we’ll be changing seats today〜.”

After finishing attendance, the teacher prepared the lottery slips for the seat change. In our class, seats are rearranged once a month. We draw a slip and move to the seat that matches the number written on it.

And the seat I drew this time was the one right in the middle of the very front row. A seat directly in front of the teacher’s desk.

The closest seat to the teacher—basically considered a losing spot.

“Uwaa. That’s some bad luck……”

“Seriously. Man, that sucks……”

When I looked to my right, I saw Minoru letting out a sigh.

“We’re seatmates again. And the front row? That’s the worst. Now I can’t sleep during class.”

“You’re not supposed to sleep during class in the first place.”

Even so, sitting in the front is a problem for me too.

It makes it harder to watch the yuri girls.

I wonder which seats those three moved to?

“Sensei! Can I say something real quickー?”

A voice came from the back. Renka-san had raised her hand.

“I ended up in the very back seat, but my eyesight’s been getting a bit worse latelyー.”

“Oh my, is that so? Then you can switch with someone in front.”

“Yay! Thank you very muchー!”

Renka-san came forward and spoke to the boy on my right—Minoru.

“Heyー, Minoru-kun! Sorry, but could you switch seats with me?”

“Huh, seriously? If it’s a back seat, I’m all for it!”

Hearing he could move, Minoru happily accepted.

And just like that, Renka-san sat down to my right.

“Ahaha. Souma-kun, let’s get along, okay?”

“Ah, yeah. same here……”

Renka-san smiled shyly and gave a small wave. I could only return a dry laugh.

Somehow… Renka came closer to me on her own again.

“Sensei! Can I ask something too〜? I’m short, so it’s hard to see when someone’s in front of me〜.”

“Me too…… my eyesight’s been getting worse lately.”

Next, Shiori-san and Toa-san spoke up. Then Toa-san moved to my left, and Shiori-san moved to the seat right behind me.

“let’s get along, Souma-kun! We’re next to each other!”

“It’s the first time… we’ve had seats this close……”

Huh……? Isn’t this strange? All three of them moving to the front like this. They used to just participate in seat changes normally, right?

And for some reason, none of them asked me to switch seats.

As a result, I’m now physically surrounded by the three of them.

Literally in a 『man sandwiched between yuri』 situation.

This is bad. I need to switch seats with someone so they can flirt with each other more easily.

“U-um…… Renka-san. If it’s okay, maybe you could switch seats with me—”

“You can just call me by my name.”

Her voice cut me off.

“Eh……?”

“Um… you don’t have to use honorifics (-san) with me. It makes me happy—it feels like we’re closer that way……”

The last part trailed off into a quiet mumble.

Wait a second. What is with that shy, adorable expression?

From my perspective, getting close to my oshi girls is a no-go.

I just want to admire the three of them from a distance.

But she seems to want the exact opposite.

“Using ‘-san’ feels kind of distant…… so……”

Renka-san paused once. Then一

“I want you to call me Renka……”

Her voice trembled, but she said it clearly. Her face was bright red, as if I could almost hear her heart pounding.

I can’t just brush that off. After she said it so directly, refusing would definitely hurt her.

“O-okay…… Renka.”

“—! Thank you, Souma-kun!”

Renka’s face lit up in a big smile. A look of relief, and happiness from the bottom of her heart.

But that wasn’t the end of it.

『…………』

I could feel intense stares. When I turned around, Shiori-san and Toa-san were staring at me—『staaare』—as if urging me on.

“Um, then…… Shiori, Toa……”

Paaah! Both their faces lit up instantly. Just hearing their names from me made their cheeks loosen into delighted smiles.

This really is strange, isn’t it?

The words Minoru said the other day suddenly replayed in my mind.

『Man, that was wild, Souma. You were insanely popular back there.』

Could it be… they actually like me?

 

 

Monday classes are boring.

Since morning, we’d had one board-copying subject after another—classical literature, biology, and modern history. And then came fourth period: math.

It’s only natural to end up dozing off……

Tsun, tsun.

Something tapped against my upper arm.

As my consciousness surfaced and I opened my eyes, Toa was poking my arm with the back of her mechanical pencil.

When our eyes met, she gave a cute little smile, then handed me a torn piece of notebook paper.

『Don’t fall asleep〜. Do your best!』

That was close…… I actually nodded off in the very front row……

If the teacher had noticed, it would’ve been a hassle. I should thank Toa.

I wrote 『Thanks. You saved me』 on the scrap, then, while the teacher turned to the board, slipped it back onto her desk. After that, I started copying the notes seriously.

Then, about 30 seconds later……

『You’re welcome♪ Were you up late last night?』

A reply came back.

Her handwriting was round and girlishly cute. When I looked at Toa, she gave a small, innocent wave. Her slightly excited smile felt childlike and simply adorable.

But…… she responded with a question, huh.

Is she planning to keep this going? We’re in the front row. We’ll definitely get caught, right?

Does that mean she wants to talk with me that much, even taking that risk?

『You were insanely popular back there.』

Minoru’s words crossed my mind again.

Looking at the situation calmly… maybe he’s right. Objectively speaking, they’re starting to like me.

This isn’t good. It’s really, absolutely not good. Those girls like each other. And yet, the idea that my presence might steal those feelings away… As someone who supports them, that’s something I can’t overlook.

Thinking I needed to do something, I looked at Toa again. She seemed restless, sneaking glances at me—peek, peek. She was clearly waiting for a reply.

What should I do……? I probably shouldn’t respond much, but ignoring her would hurt too. Reluctantly, I wrote a reply on the paper.

『Actually, I was up late playing games』

In truth, I just couldn’t sleep because I was busy imagining yuri scenarios about them—but there’s no way I could write that honestly. I waited for a moment when the teacher wasn’t looking and placed the note on Toa’s desk.

The moment she saw it, her eyes lit up—paaah! Then, with a bright smile that looked like she might start humming any second, she began writing something in the remaining space.

And about thirty seconds later again—

『Games are great! I like them too! What kind of games do you play, Souma-kun?』

Including how fast she replied… it felt like I was being forced to face the reality that she liked me.

Confused but unable to ignore her, I continued our note exchange.

『At home, I usually play shooting games or racing games』

『Racing games are fun〜! I play them at home too〜』

『You like games too, Toa? That’s surprising』

『I love them! I play with my little sisters. I’m actually pretty good, you know?』

『I see. You’re the eldest sister, right?』

『Yep! I’m the big sister! Pretty amazing, right!』

Toa puffed out her chest proudly. Since she’s usually seen as the lovable type, she must take pride in being the older sister. That part of her somehow made her seem even more childlike… but it was kind of heartwarming.

While I was thinking leisurely like that—

She handed me another scrap of notebook paper.

『Talking like this secretly is fun, isn’t it?』

My heart tightened with a jolt.

When I looked at Toa, she was glancing at me repeatedly. But the moment our eyes met, her cheeks flushed red and she shyly looked away.

S-stop it……! Make that cute expression toward girls, not me!

Toa should only have that lovestruck maiden look for Renka and Shiori!

『Can we keep this up a little longer……? I’m happy to be sitting next to you, Souma-kun……』

“—!”

The message that followed made me forget to breathe for a moment.

Saying she’s happy to be sitting next to me… those are words you only say to someone you like.

What the heck…… I just wanted to watch yuri from afar, and now they’ve completely fallen for me. I try to keep guys away from their yuri, yet I’m the one sandwiched between it—what a terrible person I am.

What should I do… I can’t keep having this kind of youth with Toa any longer……

“Alright, then this problem…… Naruse. Give me the answer.”

“Eh?”

The teacher’s voice snapped me back to the front.

Apparently, the lesson had moved on while I was caught up in my inner conflict. Unfamiliar formulas were lined up across the blackboard.

“What’s wrong? Hurry and answer.”

“Ah, etto……”

What do I do? I didn’t listen at all. I hurriedly looked down at my notebook, searching for any hint of the answer.

At that moment, Toa beside me subtly moved her notebook closer.

And at the edge of the page, written in big letters, were the words: 『x=5』

“Um…… x=5, I think……”

“Correct. Everyone understands how to solve this one, rightー?”

The teacher turned back to the board and began writing the solution.

In that brief moment, Toa flashed a V-sign with a bright smile.

She’s really cute. Very cute, but……!

That smile should be directed at girls!

 

 

“I might already be done for……”

During the break between classes, I washed my face in the restroom and let out a sigh.

The fact that I myself have become the very 『man sandwiched between yuri』 I hate… is more stressful than I expected.

And the situation is serious. Toa seems to genuinely have feelings for me. I need to somehow make her look back toward Shiori and Renka again.

“Naruse-kun, do you have a moment?”

Speak of the devil.

The moment I stepped out of the restroom, Shiori called out to me.

“Perfect timing. Sensei said he wants you to come to the staff room.”

“Eh? Did I do something?”

“No. It seems he forgot to hand out some prints during HR. He wants you to go get them. You’re on duty today, Naruse-kun.”

Handouts, huh. There’s still time before the next class, so I should just barely make it.

“Got it, I’ll go now. Thanks.”

I turned my back to the classroom and started heading toward the staff room.

But then—

“I’ll go too. Since I’m here, let me help.”

Shiori walked up beside me.

“No, it’s fine. You can head back to the classroom.”

I’d rather she be with Renka or Toa than with me.

“Don’t hold back. This is my way of thanking you for helping me yesterday.”

Ah… the time I saved her from being hit on at the arcade.

Shiori stubbornly kept walking beside me. With her usual calm expression, she quietly followed along.

Well, having her help with the task isn’t a big deal. At least this isn’t a situation where I’m sandwiched between yuri.

But……

“Um… I appreciate the help, but……”

“W-what is it……?”

“Aren’t we… kind of close?”

For some reason, Shiori had moved so close that our shoulders were almost touching.

No—actually, they were already touching. Every time we walked and our bodies swayed, her shoulder brushed against my arm. This distance felt like we were a couple.

But in response to my question, Shiori just…

“R-really……? I’m not sure……”

she said shyly. Even while blushing, she made no attempt to step away.

This is bad.

That expression… it’s definitely the same look Toa had. The face of a girl in love.

For the usually reserved Shiori to close the distance this much is strange. Once I noticed it, I couldn’t think of any reason other than that she likes me.

“U-um…… by the way, Naruse-kun.”

Still with our shoulders touching, she looked up at me and spoke.

“During math earlier… what were you talking about with Toa?”

“Eh?”

“You were exchanging notes, right? If it’s okay, I’d like you to tell me……”

Her face red, Shiori watched my reaction.

Exchanging notes. The image of Toa’s shy smile came to mind, and I found myself at a loss for words.

“Was it… some kind of secret you can’t tell other people?”

“No, nothing like that. I just fell asleep during class, and she woke me up. After that, we talked a little about games.”

“I see……”

Shiori looked a little relieved. Then she continued.

“T-then… in the next class, will you exchange notes with me too?”

“Eh?”

Me? With Shiori?

“I’ve always admired that kind of thing. Secretly talking during class.”

She looked at me with eyes full of expectation.

Hey, Shiori. Why me? That’s something you could ask Toa to do, isn’t it? Why are you asking me?

“Naruse-kun, you told me before, didn’t you? That if I was troubled, I could talk to you.”

I meant 『talk to a girl』 when I said that! Not me!

“So… is it no good……?”

Shiori’s shoulders visibly drooped. Seeing that expression made my chest tighten painfully.

And then she added—

“It’s not fair… only Toa……”

Thump. She lightly bumped her shoulder against mine and looked at me with a sulky face.

Her behavior felt like a protest, yet at the same time, like she was seeking affection. As far as I know, she’s never even acted this way toward Renka.

“No, it’s not that it’s no good or anything……”

Flustered, the words slipped out of my mouth.

If I rejected her here, she’d definitely be hurt. I couldn’t bring myself to do that.

“Really……?”

“Yeah. Our seats are front and back, so it might be a bit hard… but if you’re okay with that.”

“Thank you! Then, um… hold out your pinky?”

“My pinky?”

“Yeah……”

Shiori said shyly, lowering her gaze slightly.

Not understanding her intention, I raised my pinky as told. Then she hooked her own pinky around mine.

“It’s a promise…… Pinky promise, okay?”

Her slender finger tightened around mine. It felt almost like we were holding hands, and it made me strangely restless.

Shiori herself blushed, her cheeks red. Maybe from nervousness, her expression was stiff.

But she didn’t let go right away. As if she was desperately trying to make me aware of her.

“Yuーbikiーrigeーnmaーn, ifーyouーlieーthen──”

[TLN: ゆびきりげんまん (yubikiri genman) is a childish chant said when making a promise. Means Pinky promise]

Shiori sang softly, her voice thin but clear. Swaying our linked fingers to the rhythm, she grew even more flustered.

Her face was really cute… but that’s not something you should be directing at me…!

“──Pinky promise! …T-then… I’ll be counting on you, okay? Naruse-kun.”

“A-ah……”

Shiori released my pinky. In exchange, she moved her body closer again, keeping a distance that felt just like a couple who had just started dating.

This is honestly the first time I’ve ever seen Shiori this forward.

The usually serious and plain class rep, blushing while trying to appeal to me like this.

It seems I’m being genuinely, seriously cherished by her.

 

 

For a guy like me who just wants to watch yuri from afar, for some reason there are unusual girls who end up developing feelings for me.

And unfortunately, it wasn’t just Toa and Shiori.

“Uwah, that hurt!”

Fifth period—PE class.

We were having a tennis lesson on the outdoor court that day… and in the middle of it, I accidentally fell. Maybe because I’d been troubled over everything with the girls, I couldn’t fully concentrate. A sharp pain shot through the scraped wound.

“You okay, Naruse? That was quite a fall.”

Sensei hurried over, looking worried.

“Go get it treated in the infirmary. Can you walk there alone?”

“Ah, yeah. I think I—”

Just as I was about to answer—

“Yes, yes! Sensei! I’ll go with him!”

Renka, who had been on the girls’ court, raised her hand and ran over.

“I’m on the health committee! And my match just ended!”

“I see. Then I’ll leave him to you.”

Even though it wasn’t a serious injury, Sensei must’ve felt uneasy sending an injured student alone. He quickly gave his permission.

Renka looked down at my leg.

“Souma-kun, are you okay? You’re bleeding…”

“Yeah, probably. It’s just a scrape.”

“I see… I’m glad it’s not a serious injury.”

“Yeah. I think I can make it to the infirmary by myself though…”

“Nope! I’m coming with you! Let’s go!”

Renka held out her hand. So she wanted me to take it and walk.

But touching a girl makes me hesitate. I’m not sure someone like me should be allowed to.

“It’s fine! Holding hands isn’t a big deal!”

Maybe sensing my hesitation, Renka gently tapped my shoulder.

“If you want, I can even let you lean on me! C’mon! Want a hug?”

“No, that’s not necessary!”

“Ahahaha! Then go ahead—take my hand!”

Renka laughed jokingly. She’s always the type who’s very physically affectionate even with girls, so lending a hand to an injured guy probably feels like nothing to her.

Besides, refusing now would just be rude to her when she’s trying to help.

“Thanks… then sorry, but I’ll take you up on it.”

After thinking it over, I accepted her kindness.

Hesitantly, I took her hand. Her slender hand gently squeezed mine in return. I felt the same thing as when I made that pinky promise with Shiori—the warmth of the other person traveling through, making me strangely restless.

“Alright, let’s go!”

“Y-yeah.”

And just like that, Renka led me along. We washed the wound at the outdoor faucet, then went to the infirmary where the school nurse gave me a bandage. I put it on, and the treatment was done.

We left the infirmary and started walking together again.

“Are you really okay? Does it still hurt?”

“No, not really. It’s mostly fine now. I could probably even play again.”

It hurt a little at first, but I’m not at an age where I’d complain over a simple scrape.

“Still… it’s a bit hard to go back…”

I’d fallen pathetically and gotten hurt… and more than that, when Renka was helping me earlier, I felt the boys staring. Looks filled with jealousy and resentment. If I went back now, it felt like they’d start smashing balls at me.

“Ah! Then how about this?”

Renka reacted sharply to my mutter and flashed a mischievous grin.

“Wanna skip class?”

“Eh?”

“You just got hurt, Souma-kun. You shouldn’t be moving around much yet, right?”

“It’s not that serious. Besides, I should at least sit out and watch—”

“It’s fiiine! There’s barely any time left in class anyway! If we don’t go back, they won’t notice!”

Renka forcefully grabbed my hand.

“Let’s be a little bad together for once, okay?”

She winked at me.

And before I could even refuse, she pulled me along—to an empty classroom during PE.

“This feels kinda fresh, right? Just the two of us in the classroom!”

“We’re skipping… here?”

“Yeah! I thought we could watch some videos together! Let’s rest until the bell rings!”

Renka rummaged through her bag and pulled out her smartphone and wired earphones. She must’ve left them there before PE.

“Doing something we’re not supposed to like this… that’s part of youth, right? If anything happens, I’ll take responsibility!”

Renka looked like she was genuinely enjoying herself. Sure, enjoying youth is fine—but that’s something she should be doing with the other girls. The fact that her partner is me is definitely strange.

Still… honestly, this helps a bit. I wanted to avoid getting smashed by jealous boys.

“There’s this super funny game commentary video I watched yesterday! You’ll definitely like it too, Souma-kun! Here!”

Renka held out one side of the earphones to me.

“This is…?”

“Use one side of my earphones!”

One side…? That’s something couples usually do… At the very least, it’s not something an unrelated guy and girl would do so casually. Renka may be the type who’s naturally close with people, but even considering that, her affection toward me is clearly high…!

While I was on guard, Renka put one earbud into her ear.

I naturally wanted to decline, but refusing felt awkward. After hesitating, I ended up putting the other earbud in as well.

The fit felt about the same as the ones I use at home. Still, using a girl’s earphones made me feel like I was doing something even more improper than skipping class.

And because the cable was short, it automatically brought me closer to Renka. Our arms were almost touching. Our shoulders leaned together, and my heart started pounding loudly.

“Ahaha. Even this is a bit embarrassing, huh?”

Renka said it jokingly. But from her softened “ehehe” smile, I could sense a faint blush too. Still, more than anything, she seemed to be enjoying this situation.

This moment—being alone together with me.

 

 

No good. This won’t work.

I feel like something about the way they’re acting is slowly becoming strange. They’re directing too much affection toward me, and at this rate, I might actually end up destroying their yuri relationship.

This happened because of me. I’m sure it’s because I carelessly went out with them that things turned out like this. It’s not that I want them to like me—I just want to watch the three of them being all lovey-dovey together.

Being liked by them is a complete misinterpretation! I need to snap them out of this—right now. The ones they truly like aren’t guys like me, but other girls.

“It can’t be helped… I guess there’s only that option.”

To be honest, there is one method. A way to shift their attention away from me.

If possible, it was something I didn’t want to use. But this isn’t the time to be saying that.

I have to take responsibility and fix the yuri I disrupted!

 

 

After school. As usual, Toa was diligently carrying out her duties as a library committee member. She carefully returned the books that had been checked back in to their shelves, moving around the library with a determined look on her face, pattering lightly from place to place.

Meanwhile, as for me—

I wasn’t helping with the work at all. I was just watching her from the hallway.

Normally, I should have been on duty just like her. In other words, I was skipping out. Without telling Toa anything, I had ditched the job.

The reason… was simple. Anyone who skips their duties without notice is bound to lose favor.

I was going as far as dumping all the work on Toa just so she would dislike me.

“Sorry, Toa… but it can’t be helped.”

Tormented by the guilt of pushing the burden onto her, I watched her from afar.

If she didn’t come to dislike me like this, I might end up ruining their yuri. I wanted her to be disappointed in me and turn her attention back to the charm isn’t of yuri again.

“But… peeking like this isn’t good either.”

Trying to ease my guilt even a little, I quietly stepped away from the library.

Even so, going home first would make me feel even worse. I decided to stay on campus in case something came up during duty, and wandered around aimlessly for a while.

Then, 30 minutes later, I returned to the library and confirmed that Toa had finished her work and was heading toward the shoe lockers.

To avoid running into her, I waited a bit longer before heading to the lockers myself.

“Alright… she probably hates me now.”

She was surely feeling irritated at me for skipping duty without a word.

Even though this was exactly what I aimed for, being disliked by a girl was mentally pretty tough. But this was a mess I caused myself.

And if it meant getting to see their precious yuri, then this much burden was nothing—

“Sooouma-kun!”

“Huh?”

The moment I put on my shoes and stepped outside, Toa came running up to me.

“Toa… why?”

It had already been 10 minutes since she left the library. She should’ve been on her way home by now.

“I thought you’d already gone home… so why?”

“Ehehe. Who knows? Isn’t it strange?”

Her expression was like a child who had just successfully pulled off a prank.

“Don’t tell me… Toa, were you waiting for me?”

“Hmm? Nope. Just a coincidence~”

She spoke in an obviously forced tone. It was clear she had been waiting to ambush me.

Maybe she’d been waiting to complain about me skipping duty without notice? She could tell I was still on campus since my shoes were still in the locker.

But… it didn’t really feel like that kind of atmosphere.

“Since we’re here, let’s walk home together! Let’s chat!”

“Eh… ah, okay…”

Her childlike excitement and cuteness dulled my thoughts. I couldn’t come up with a good excuse to refuse, so all I could do was nod.

And just like that, the two of us walked out through the school gate side by side.

“Hey, Souma-kun. Were you okay?”

“Huh?”

“You weren’t feeling well, right? Were you resting somewhere, like the infirmary?”

It seemed Toa had assumed my absence was due to feeling unwell rather than skipping. Not only had my favorability not dropped, she was actually worried about me.

“For Souma-kun to skip without saying anything, I figured it must’ve been something serious. Are you okay?”

What kind of deep trust is that…? She didn’t even consider that I might’ve been slacking off—she’d been worried and waited for me… just how kind is she?

“Ah… um… sorry. I just took a nap.”

Looking into Toa’s pure, round eyes as she peered at me in concern filled me with overwhelming guilt.

“Sorry for suddenly leaving the work to you.”

“That’s totally fine! I had someone switch shifts with me too!”

She showed no sign of being bothered at all, smiling brightly as ever.

“You can rely on me anytime, okay?”

She even gently patted my back.

Even after skipping duty without notice, my favorability hadn’t dropped at all… At this point, it seemed she already liked me quite a lot.

If that’s the case, I’ll just have to do something even more to make her dislike me. It hurts like crazy, but still.

“More importantly, are you still sleepy? If there’s anything I can do, I will.”

“Really? Actually, I’m still pretty tired.”

This is my chance. An idea to lower my favorability immediately came to mind.

“Maybe I’d feel better if Toa spoiled me a little. If you don’t mind… could you pat my head and go ‘there, there’?”

I leaned closer to Toa, trying to act needy.

Yeah. Even I feel gross doing this. A guy acting this clingy should creep girls out! It feels bad taking advantage of her kindness, but let her be put off by this!

“Ahaha. Sure, okay? There, there~”

With a gentle smile that seemed to embrace everything, Toa began patting my head.

“…!”

Wait, seriously!? Normally this would be a definite no!

Being gently patted on the head just made me the one getting embarrassed!

“U-um… Toa…?”

“Good work today, Souma-kun. There, there~”

“N-no, that’s enough! Sorry! Thank you!”

I thanked her anyway and quickly pulled away.

How can Toa accept even someone like me…!? No matter how you look at it, if someone you’re not even dating asks you to pat their head, that’s creepy, right!?

But that way of thinking didn’t seem to apply to Toa.

“If there’s anything you want me to do, just tell me! I want to be of help to you, Souma-kun!”

“Ah… yeah… thanks…”

Overwhelmed by Toa’s kindness,

I lowered my shoulders in defeat. My plan had failed.

 

 

After my plan with Toa failed, I decided to change my approach.

It’s not only sloppy guys that girls tend to dislike. After thinking it over, I came to the conclusion that the type of guy who’s easily disliked is one who’s overly familiar and pushy.

“Renka, are you here?”

“Eh!? Souma-kun!?”

During lunch break, I headed to the infirmary where she was.

“That’s rare! Why are you here?”

“You weren’t at the cafeteria today. When I asked Shiori and Toa, they said you were in the infirmary. I was wondering what you were doing.”

“I see! You came to see me? That seriously makes me happy!”

Renka’s face lit up with a genuine smile.

“I was writing the health newsletter today. Committee work.”

“I see. You’re on the health committee, right?”

“Yeah, yeah. But for you to come all the way to see me… could it be you’re that curious about me?”

“Yeah. I actually am.”

“Eh…? R-really…?”

“Mind if I sit next to you?”

“Ah, um… yeah…”

I walked closer to her and sat down right beside her.

“Eh… eh!?”

“What’s wrong, Renka?”

“N-no……it’s nothing…”

It was only natural for her to be confused. A guy suddenly sitting right next to a girl instead of across from her would definitely come off as scary.

And when I sat down, I deliberately moved my chair closer to Renka. The distance between us was now close enough that our shoulders might touch. Guys who invade personal space tend to be disliked.

She had supported my body during PE before, but this wasn’t an emergency like that time. My favorability should be dropping fast.

Sure enough, Renka was so surprised and confused that she’d lost her words.

Alright. Time to press further.

“I’ve never really paid attention to the health newsletter before. What kind of things are written in it?”

Pretending to peek at the paper, I leaned even closer to her.

Our arms brushed against each other. I felt her body tense up in an instant.

“Ah, um… this month… it’s about getting quality sleep… I think…”

She answered my question hesitantly. Good, she seemed even more troubled now.

Then I spoke in an even more overly familiar tone.

“Hey… do you have a boyfriend, Renka?”

“Eh!? A boyfriend!?”

Asking such a sudden personal question should make me seem annoying and pushy.

“W-why would you ask something like that all of a sudden?”

“No reason, I was just curious. You’re pretty, Renka, so I figured you might have a boyfriend or something.”

“P-pretty…? That’s…”

Renka turned her face away from me.

“Souma-kun… you’re actually curious about that… whether I have a boyfriend…”

She muttered quietly. She was probably getting irritated by how pushy I was.

“S-sorry! I’ll just go grab a new pen…!”

Unable to handle the closeness anymore, Renka stood up and headed toward the shelves as if escaping.

Alright! Just one more push.

“Hey.”

As I said that, I stood up.

Then I cornered her by the wall and slammed one hand against it.

“Want to use my pen instead?”

“…!”

Renka’s eyes widened in surprise.

What I’d just done was the classic kabedon.

It’s often known as a heart-fluttering move, but people also say that 『When it happens in real life, it’s just uncomfortable』. And if a guy you only recently started talking to suddenly does something this overly familiar, it’s only natural to feel uneasy.

If I go this far, it should be more than enough. Renka should finally be put off and lose any affection she has for me. She might even shove me away or slap me.

—Or so I thought…

“I-idiot…”

Renka lightly tapped my chest with a soft thump. The force was incredibly weak. And more than that, her face was flushed like steam might rise from it.

“If you come at me like that… of course I’ll get nervous…!”

She turned her face away, speaking in a faint voice. But she didn’t run away or push me aside.

And the corners of her lips seemed slightly relaxed, as if she was embarrassed yet somehow enjoying the situation.

Wait… why? Isn’t she actually happy about the kabedon?

I was sure that guys who forced their way into a girl’s personal space would be disliked. I never expected this kind of reaction.

Is Renka the type who’s weak when someone takes the lead? Even though she’s usually the one who pushes forward, maybe she’s not good at being approached instead.

“A-anyway. I’ve got a pen if you need one.”

Realizing this was backfiring, I tried to step away from Renka.

But then she grabbed the hem of my clothes.

“Ah, wait!”

“Huh?”

“Um… it’s not like I hate it or anything… we can stay like this a little longer…”

Her upward glance practically said “don’t go.” This time, I was the one caught off guard by her expression.

There was no doubt about it. My favorability had actually gone up instead.

She actually enjoyed the kabedon? Just how girlish is she! I thought she’d be the most used to guys, but she’s this pure…!

“Ah… n-no, no! Sorry! I was joking! Ahaha… what am I even saying…?”

“N-no… I’m the one who should apologize.”

An embarrassingly shoujo manga-like atmosphere filled the infirmary.

Just like with Toa, I’d ended up raising Renka’s favorability too.

 

 

I failed to get disliked by both Toa and Renka.

At this point, I had to make sure at least Shiori would properly come to dislike me.

“Excuse me…”

“Ah, Naruse-kun. Welcome.”

After school, I visited the literature club room where Shiori belonged.

She had invited me, saying she wanted to introduce me to some books she recommended.

“Welcome to the club room. Though, even if it’s called a club, I’m usually the only one here.”

“Are the others just ghost members?”

“Yeah. But that actually helps me focus on reading.”

She didn’t seem bothered at all. That was probably how she truly felt.

She walked to the bookshelf, gathered about five books in her arms, and placed them on the long desk.

“These are the books I want to recommend for now. I’d like you to read them, Naruse-kun.”

“Oh. Mystery novels, romance… huh? There’s even a shonen manga?”

“Yeah. I usually read novels, but there are a lot of manga I like too.”

That was unexpected. A literary girl like Shiori didn’t seem like the type to read manga.

“If you’d like, you can at least read the manga before you go.”

“Right now?”

“If it’s manga, you should be able to finish it before dismissal time, right?”

She pointed to a seat, signaling me to sit there.

I decided to follow her suggestion for now and took a seat. Then I opened the shonen manga she handed me. It was an adventure story.

And then…

“U-Ano!”

“Hm?”

“C-can I… read it together… with you?”

Shiori approached nervously. She was probably using the manga as an excuse to sit next to me. Thinking that, I braced myself.

But she went even further than that.

“Excuse me…”

For some reason, instead of sitting beside me, Shiori stood behind me.

Then, over the back of the chair, she hugged me from behind.

“…!?”

Just like when Renka did it during the purikura, Shiori hugged me from behind. Her arms wrapped around my chest. The sudden closeness and the warmth from her arms made my heart pound loudly.

The faint sound of her breath near my ear felt strangely alluring.

Why would she suddenly do something like this…?

“I-it’s just… um, easier to read this way… And Renka hugged you too…”

Was she talking about the purikura? Maybe she was forcing herself so she wouldn’t lose to Renka?

Even so, this was way too close all of a sudden. Whether she was earnest about love or not, she was coming on much more boldly than her modest appearance suggested.

But this was perfect. Making a girl like her dislike me should be easy.

“Stop, Shiori.”

I spoke in the coldest voice I could manage and threw the words at her.

“Naruse-kun…?”

“I don’t like being all touchy like this. Let go.”

I stood up and freed myself from her hug.

“Sorry, but I’d rather you not come so close.”

I hardened my heart and spoke harshly to her. Of course, this was also to make her dislike me.

With Renka, getting too close had failed. So this time, I just needed to be cold and distant instead.

If I acted this unpleasant, even a century-old love would cool down. Shiori would surely grow sick of me on her own.

“…sniff…”

I heard the sound of her sniffing.

When I looked, Shiori’s eyes were glistening. She looked like she might burst into tears at any moment.

“S-Shiori!?”

“I-I’m sorry… I was being too familiar…”

“N-no, that’s not…”

“This kind of thing doesn’t feel good, right… If it were done to me, I’d probably hate it too…”

Shiori spoke in a trembling, tearful voice. I hadn’t expected this. I never thought I’d hurt her this much.

“N-no, that’s not it! I didn’t mean it like that!”

“No… I know I’m the one at fault… I’m really sorry.”

Shiori stepped away from me, as if about to leave the club room.

“I’ll try not to get close to you anymore…”

“W-wait!”

Originally, my goal had been to make her dislike me. This situation was exactly what I’d aimed for.

But making a girl cry was never my intention. In a panic, I grabbed her hand.

“I just… I was just a little embarrassed! It’s not that I hate you getting close!”

“But… you said you don’t like being all touchy…”

“That was just me trying to hide my embarrassment! I’ve never even had a girlfriend… I’m really not used to this kind of thing!”

“Really…?”

“Yeah! So it’s not that I dislike you, Shiori! I was just flustered! I’m sorry!”

“Then… is it okay if I stay close like earlier… from now on too?”

“Of course! If that’ll make you stop crying—”

The moment I said that…

Shiori’s arm wrapped around mine. She clung to it like a lover.

“Sorry… I’m glad Naruse-kun is kind…”

Clinging to me, Shiori apologized.

Damn it… I gave her permission. I just couldn’t bear to see her crying…

“Thank you for forgiving me. I’ll try not to be too clingy.”

“R-right… then for now, could you let go of my hand—”

“But… um, please let me stay like this just a little longer.”

She leaned in closer and pressed herself against me tightly.

Seeing her boldly cling to me like that, I couldn’t say anything anymore.

 

 

I failed. I messed up badly.

Because of the unnecessary things I did yesterday, I ended up raising their affection for me instead. And because of that, I was now being approached even more by the three of them.

Our seats were already close to begin with, so during the short breaks after arriving at school and after classes, they would always talk to me.

And because of that, the yuri time—when the three girls would chat happily among themselves—naturally disappeared.

“This is the worst…”

During lunch break, I let out a sigh in an empty classroom.

After class, I sensed they were about to invite me to the cafeteria, so I hurriedly ran here. I couldn’t afford to be sandwiched between the three of them any more than this.

Today, I’d just eat the convenience store bread I brought alone. I needed to calmly think about what to do next.

“Haah… seriously, what am I supposed to do?”

If they started liking me, it would change the relationship between the three of them. If they awakened to heterosexual love, they wouldn’t be able to stay the way they are now.

That couldn’t happen. I couldn’t bear the thought of never seeing their happy yuri interactions again.

And more than anything, they’d definitely be happier dating each other than ending up with a guy like me. After all, they looked unbelievably happy flirting with each other every single day.

I absolutely had to make them come to their senses. For the sake of those three finding the right kind of happiness.

I failed yesterday, but I can’t keep getting involved with them like this—

“Ah! Souma-kun, found you!”

I heard a familiar voice.

When I looked, Renka was waving at me with a lunch bag in hand. Behind her, Toa and Shiori followed.

“All three of you… why are you here?”

“We were looking for you! You always disappear somewhere right after class ends!”

They pulled their desks closer. Renka and Shiori sat on either side of me, while Toa sat across from me.

“Um… why go out of your way to look for me?”

If they were searching for me on purpose, it made me wonder if they really liked me that much.

Shiori answered my question.

“I wanted to eat together, if that’s okay. And… I also have something I wanted to give you today.”

“Something to give me…?”

Looking closely, Shiori was holding another lunch bag separate from her own.

She handed it to me.

“I made you a homemade bentou.”

“A homemade bentou!?”

She went through all that trouble… for me!? This is bad. My likability is going up again!

“By the way, I made one too~!”

“Me too! Ta-da!”

“All of you!?”

I ended up receiving lunch bags from Toa and Renka as well.

Renka’s was a karaage bento packed with lots of fried chicken and potato salad. Toa had sandwiches filled with cutlet, egg, and vegetables. And Shiori’s was a colorful bento centered around ginger pork, with tomatoes, broccoli, tamagoyaki, and side dishes neatly arranged.

“We didn’t plan it or anything, but… the other day, you said you only eat cafeteria food or convenience store bread for lunch, right? So I thought you might be happy if we made something.”

So their thoughts just happened to align…

She was right—any normal guy would be thrilled. Homemade bento from girls was practically irresistible for guys. If they were from beautiful girls like them, it wouldn’t be strange for a full-on battle to break out over them.

“I did my best with what I could. I don’t think the taste will be bad.”

I could tell just by looking. All their bentos were carefully prepared and looked delicious. And I could feel that each of them had made them while thinking of me.

But I couldn’t feel happy at all.

The fact that they were directing that much affection toward me—a guy—was a negative for them.

And besides—

“Um… am I supposed to eat all of these?”

Each of their bentos was a full single portion. Three servings was simply too much.

“Ah. Even Souma-kun probably can’t finish everything, huh?”

“Yeah. Sorry, but that’d be tough.”

If possible, I wanted to use that as an excuse to return them. And then watch the three of them happily eat lunch together from afar.

“Then, Souma-kun, which one do you want to eat?”

Renka leaned forward as she asked. I had a bad feeling about this.

“Well… I’d like to try all of them.”

“But you can’t eat all three, right? So pick just one to represent them!”

Just as I thought… it came to that!

This was troublesome. No matter which one I chose, the other two would be hurt. I wanted to keep my distance from them, but I didn’t want to make them sad.

“It’s fine as long as you eat the one you want the most out of these!”

Renka’s proposal was incredibly difficult. Toa and Shiori seemed to agree too, staring intently at my face.

What should I do? What’s the right answer in a situation like this? I desperately racked my brain.

“T-then… how about I eat a little from everyone’s—”

“Ah. That’s not allowed. Pick whose is number one properly.”

Renka shut down my only escape route.

Hey, this is bad. What is this harem romcom development…!? I can’t even sit back and watch yuri anymore at this rate.

“By the way, my top recommendation is my karaage bento. I even learned from my mom how to season it properly. I’m confident it’s the tastiest out of these!”

“Wait, Renka. I can’t ignore that.”

Shiori reacted immediately.

“Yours is too biased in menu. It’s almost all meat, so the nutritional balance is terrible.”

“No way, nutritional balance and all that. We’re still young, you know?”

“Even young people can get diseases. And adding vegetables makes it look prettier too.”

“Mine looks great too! Look at this powerful fried food color! My meat dishes are seriously delicious!”

“Wait, wait~! If we’re talking color, meat, and nutrition, my sandwiches clear all of that, don’t they?”

Toa joined the argument.

“Nope, that won’t do! Sandwiches are cheating! If you’re eating bread anyway, it’s basically the same as convenience store bread!”

“And bread makes you hungry quickly. It’s not enough to fill a boy’s stomach.”

“Then after he eats mine, he can eat the other bentos too…”

“Ah! That’s unfair! That’s unfair, Toa! You just tried to sneak ahead!”

“Toa. That’s not good. Being sneaky isn’t allowed.”

This was getting bad… The three of them were heating up more and more. The peaceful yuri atmosphere was completely gone.

Please stop! Don’t fight because of me!

“But I’m sure Souma-kun wants to eat mine. The other day, he was acting spoiled with me.”

Toa suddenly dropped a bomb.

“After committee work, when we walked home together, Souma-kun said 『I’m tired~』 and leaned on me! So I patted his head~”

“Huh?”

“Huh?”

The other two shot suspicious, glaring looks at me.

“So, Souma-kun. You don’t have to hold back because of them. You can pick mine, okay? I want you to act spoiled like usual~”

Toa spoke confidently, as if she’d gained the upper hand.

But that only made the tense atmosphere worse.

“Then hold on! If that’s the case, I got kabedon’d too!”

Renka jumped in to compete.

“When Souma-kun’s with me, he gets super pushy! You’ve never seen it, right, Toa? That confident Souma-kun. He’s seriously cool, you know?”

Please don’t bring that up. It’s embarrassing when I remember it. That pretentious attitude I had back then.

“Then me too. We read a book together. ──While pressed close to each other.”

“Pressed close!?”

Even Shiori joined the battle.

“And when Naruse-kun is with me, he’s cool. He won’t let me touch him easily… but when I’m feeling lonely, he takes my hand himself. The gap between his coolness and kindness is wonderful.”

“R-really…? A cool Souma-kun does sound nice…”

Please stop bringing up yesterday! None of those are the real me!

“B-but…! When he’s with me, Souma-kun turns into a spoiled baby! That version of him is the nicest!”

“No way! The confident, assertive Souma-kun when he’s with me is the best!”

“Wrong. Naruse-kun is coolest when he’s calm and cool.”

What is this humiliation…? Why do I have to listen to three girls brag about 『Souma’s coolest when he’s with me』?

I feel like my plan is backfiring way more than I expected. People could die from this level of embarrassment. Seriously.

“At this point… we don’t really have a choice, do we? Guess we’ll have to let him decide.”

“Yeah. He’s the one eating it, after all.”

“Alright. I’m fine with that too.”

Ah. I’ve got a bad feeling again.

“Souma-kun! Whose bento do you want to eat!?”

Their attention turned toward me. The three of them stared straight at me. Sandwiched between this tense atmosphere, I broke out in an uncomfortable sweat.

What do I do? Seriously, what do I do?

How did things even end up like this? Just recently, I was just a wall watching yuri from the sidelines. What happened that turned me into the protagonist of a harem romcom? This isn’t yuri anymore—it’s a battlefield!

“Of course you’ll pick mine, right!?”

“You’ll eat my bento, won’t you?”

“I worked really hard on mine!”

The three of them leaned in even closer.

Even if they said that, I couldn’t choose just one in this situation. But eating all of them was impossible too. Even for a growing guy, there were limits.

Seriously… what am I supposed to do…!

──Kiin koon kaan koon.

Suddenly, the chime rang. It was the warning bell signaling the end of lunch break and five minutes until class started.

Seizing the chance, I jumped to my feet.

“Oh no! Lunch break’s already over! That’s too bad, but let’s head back to the classroom!”

“Ah! Wait, Souma-kun!”

Using the sudden bell as cover, I fled from the empty classroom.

 

 

“Haa… I’m starving…”

Feeling both the hunger and the guilt of not eating the lunch they’d gone through the trouble of making for me, I slumped inside a bathroom stall.

Class was about to start, but I didn’t feel like going back to the classroom. If I did, I’d end up surrounded by the three of them again. And then they’d probably start arguing over whose lunch I was going to eat.

The girls who used to get along so well were now fighting because of me.

That situation made me sigh from the bottom of my heart.

“My ideal yuri… it’s gone…”

Girls fighting over a guy—nothing could be more off from how things were supposed to be.

I just wanted to watch them getting along, flirting happily with each other. I couldn’t stand that tense atmosphere.

And more than anything, I couldn’t forgive myself for being the reason behind their conflict.

“…Maybe I should just drop out of school.”

I muttered that under my breath, that’s how cornered I felt.

Comments